There are four major fields of science involved in computer technology. Computer technology is an interdisciplinary field, drawing on each of these sciences and their subfields to create the products that make our lives more efficient, productive, comfortable, safe, entertaining, mobile, communicative, interactive, and fulfilling.
Computer technology draws from mathematics for its theories, algorithms, and programming. Mathematics is also important to computer technology because it allows computers to be built that are capable of solving complex problems.
Computer technology draws from physics for its hardware, devices, circuits, and components; without the physical matter of which computers are made, there would be nothing to compute. Computer scientists work closely with chemists, metalsmiths, and metallurgists to design durable machines that can stand up against bumps, falls, liquids, or other environmental conditions. The study of physics has led to discoveries about nature itself - how atoms behave under certain circumstances - so that materials can be designed that will work well within a computer system's environment.
Computer technology draws from chemistry for its materials needed in constructing semiconductors and microchips. Without the ability to create these materials, computers could not be made with such speed and efficiency.
Computer technology draws from engineering for its hardware, such as circuit boards and chips; it uses knowledge of design and construction to build faster, smaller, and lighter computers with more efficient power usage.
Advantages of Computer Technology
- Computers are the fastest, most accurate computational machines ever created.
- Digital computers can solve complex problems - such as predicting weather patterns, making stock market predictions, or modeling DNA molecules - that would be impossible for humans without assistance.
- Computers open up a world of information and knowledge to their users; they enable people to communicate, learn and share ideas in ways never before possible.
Disadvantages of Computer Technology.
- Computers require expensive accessories for them to run properly. A computer screen requires electricity, while speakers need power and a keyboard needs batteries or an AC adapter. These add ons require even more money out of the user's pocket. Laptops charge more than desktops because they contain a battery and often a built-in screen, speakers, and keyboard.
- Computer models of the human brain estimate that we use only about 10% of our brains' total capacity (Science Daily). This unused 90% is wasted potential for most people, meaning most people could be smarter than they currently are if they allowed their minds to wander more freely through the nooks and crannies of their brains.
- More information can make it harder to find relevant information; with so many options available, it takes longer for a person to decide which source would best suit his or her needs. For businesses that rely on providing accurate and necessary information quickly, this is a serious concern; it makes finding what you need to take longer and wastes valuable time.
Computer Technology is a broad field that draws from several sciences to create the devices and systems we use today. It's easy to see why computer technology can be terrifying or awe-inspiring, depending on whether you're using it or being used by it.
Computer technology is a great advance and has opened up new opportunities for us. However, we need to remember that despite modern technology it is still our brain that makes all the difference. We should be aware of how powerful it is and use its full potential to build a brighter future!